1. Purpose of the position
The Corporate IT Director has an enormous impact on the digitization of the organization and must bring IT leadership and vision into Confederation Construction. The Corporate IT Director is responsible for building and optimizing the IT organization and to lead it to a more efficient and mature level that will be able to cope with the business needs of the complex organization. The ICT Director is responsible for the daily operational management of the ICT department (for the moment about 10 people) as well as for setting up and implementing a high-performance ICT policy for the short and long term, with full attention to the successful implementation of various recently formulated strategic lines of force for the future.
The Corporate IT Director reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
3. Tasks and responsibilities
• You are responsible for the overall organization of the ICT department (currently 10 people + external partners). You lead the ICT team using a motivating and inspiring leadership style and you develop the individual competencies of your team through trainings, collaboration, … You define appropriate metrics to assess the performance and contribution of IT.
• You progressively insource all possible IT knowledge and expertise. Design roles and responsibilities to ensure full and efficient delivery of IT functions
• You establish and validate the short and the long term IT vision, the strategy, the plan and the architecture. You bring IT expertise and leadership on C-level and you take strategic decisions on IT vision/choices, in combination with the optimization of the operational IT delivery organization and its project management skills and methodology. You develop an IT roadmap (IT systems and services evolution planning) and coherent project portfolio.
• You relate to and partner with all internal departments, all local entities to set direction & priorities.
• You position IT as a business partner rather than cost-center (strategically & day to day support). You improve the awareness and understanding of Local Confederations about the added-value brought by the IT Department through the services delivered, (2) the recognition of such an added-value via an adequate re-invoicing of the services.
• You lead many external partners and build strong relationships in the field of: Technology & Managed services (infrastructure), Software development (redevelopment legacy applications, websites), purchases (equipment, licenses). You identify, evaluate and recommend choices towards insourcing/outsourcing/hosting solutions. You advise on make or buy decisions.
• You elaborate the vision and technological strategy of the organization; to this end you advise/inform the management regarding relevant technological trends, future ICT strategy and services.
• You continuously work on the proper functioning and further optimization of the internal ICT infrastructure, architecture, Application development & implementation, IT Applications, Reporting & Business Intelligence tools (databases, upload tools, data management, BI/reporting), the improvement of the handling of user requests (ticketing), self-service tools, better documentation and processes, project governance, methodologies and specific applications, digital platforms and programs. You deliver operational services (technical, functional) to internal users (across Belgium) and member (smaller) companies (when needed).
• You lead the IT move to the new headquarters and you contribute to “New Ways of Working” (solutions, IT support and tools, related to e.g. telework) within the Confederation Construction.
• You develop small-scale software projects for internal entities (e.g specific applications for training purposes).
• You ensure the support of the users of the ICT services, both internal and external. Filtering and prioritizing users’ requests and incidents.
• You listen to, you show openness to, and you challenge the team’s recommendations and proposals. You support your team in case of escalations.
• You are responsible for the budget of the ICT department (+/- €2mio); including the choice of using internal or external resources to achieve the organizational goals;
• You follow, together with your department, the technological developments that can be useful for the business;
• You have the mandate and hiring accountability in order to optimize your team (in close collaboration with the HR Director/CEO).
• You are willing to be hands on within your position.
– Legacy applications: modernization (Q1 2022) – still in close collaboration with the current interim Director (who will act as program manager).
– Further roll-out of service packs to local/professional federations (fixed price per user for use of support, infrastructure, external partners and other central IT resources)
– Digitization of small construction companies: to examine to what extent it is desirable and possible to look for partners and solutions for the digitization of the "small contractor" in collaboration with the local Confederations.
3. Expectations first 3-6-12 months
• 3 months: Full assessment of the technological landscape, the team, understanding the basic operations and the IT-priorities (such as redevelopment of legacy systems) moving forward. Be familiar with the IT challenges and opportunities.
• 3/6 months: Approach/design (roadmap), establish deliverables and timelines for moving forward with a strong IT organization. you have a clear view on what the IT service packs (cfr.supra) to the departments and members might/should look like.
• 6/12 months: Having a strong IT organization in place. Be in control of the main IT Projects. Defining roadmap and IT model for the coming 2 to 3 years.
Confederation Construction is looking for an engaged and inspiring person with a passion for leveraging new technologies and rallying people around a pragmatic digital transformation agenda. Good interpersonal and team-leadership skills as well as a getting-things-done attitude are essential.
Leadership and management competencies (act as inspiring team coach)
o At least 10 years of experience in leading and managing IT departments covering multiple domains.
o Proven ability to bring technology and business vision together with operational leadership.
o Experience with project/program management, vendor management and delivery management in complex environments with multiple internal / external stakeholders.
o Ability to share vision and build enthusiasm around the direction and impact of IT.
o Establishes collaborative relationships among team members and is able to resolve conflicts among team members.
o Ability to set specific objectives, do follow-up, and coach team-members towards results.
o Guide team-members in their professional growth and contribution to the company.
Business skills & competencies (act as true business partner)
o Good understanding of Confederation Construction business (strategies & operating model).
o Solid understanding of Confederation Construction operational processes & procedures.
o Good insight in how IT can support/improve the activities, insights and decision taking.
o Demonstrated expertise about project management, governance, follow-up.
o Financial expertise regarding budget preparation and follow-up.
o Understanding of investment analysis and calculating value (return) of initiatives.
o A people manager and inspirer with a lot of business acumen. Well organized, entrepreneurial visionary with a ‘can do mentality. Direct, constructive and solution driven communication style.
Technical skills (act as technology sounding board)
o Thorough knowledge of new and existing technological platforms.
o Knowledge of technological and innovative trends in the ICT area.
o Knowledge of IT oriented frameworks, methodologies and management tools.