Under the 1912 Straits Settlements Port Ordinance, the Singapore Harbour Board was formed on 1 July 1913. On 1 April 1964, the Port of Singapore Authority came into being under the 1963 Port of Singapore Authority Ordinance to replace the Singapore Harbour Board and several organisations that have been operating in the port.
Following a restructuring exercise in December 2003, PSA International Pte Ltd became the holding company for the PSA Group of companies with PSA Singapore as one of its flagship terminals. PSA participates in port projects across Asia, Europe and the Americas with flagship operations in PSA Singapore and PSA Antwerp.
PSA Antwerp was established in 2002 through the merger of two established port companies, Hessenatie and Noord Natie. Immediately after the merger the new company was taken over by PSA International, one of the world’s leading port operators specialising in container handling. PSA Antwerp is the flagship of PSA (Port of Singapore Authority) International.
PSA Antwerp is the PSA Group’s main branch outside its home port of Singapore. From Antwerp, the group coordinates the activities in Belgium (Antwerp, Zeebrugge), Europe (Italy, Portugal and Turkey) and Latin America (Argentina, Panama and Colombia). As the port operator of choice in numerous international ports PSA handles some 185,000 containers per day; in 2016 this amounted to a total of 67.63 million TEUs (twenty-foot equivalent units), half of which was handled by the Singapore terminal. PSA Antwerp processed some 10 million TEUs.
PSA operates 3 container terminals in Antwerp (PSA DGD/MPET at the Deurganck dock, North SeaTerminal and Europa Terminal). Over 80% of all containers that arrive in Antwerp pass through one of these terminals. In addition PSA Antwerp also handles steel break bulk cargo through the company PSA Breakbulk.
Recent years have seen continuous investments in the growth and renovation of these facilities. The prime exponent of this policy was the spectacular move of the MPET terminal from the Right to the Left Bank. This involved the transfer of all maritime activities from the Delwaide dock to the new Deurganck dock. The relocation and renovation operation took an investment of some €500 million. With 41 cranes, 10 berths for the world’s largest sea-going vessels and a capacity of 9 million TEUs the port of Antwerp now boasts Europe’s largest terminal. In addition, the North Sea and Europa terminals also underwent extensive expansion and upgrade works so that they too can now effortlessly handle large sea-going vessels.
Today PSA Antwerp employs some 3,000 specialised staff, enabling the company to remain operational 24/7. PSA also has far-reaching collaboration agreements with a number of partners, who use the PSA ‘CY Shuttle’ network to ensure rail and barge connections with approximately 20 destinations in Belgium, the Netherlands, France, Germany and Poland. Thus PSA Antwerp can offer integrated cargo handling solutions.
The ambition of PSA Antwerp is to consolidate its growth, both in terms of handled volume and the importance of the organisation within the PSA Group. In addition, PSA Antwerp also aims to remain a technological pioneer within its area of activity.
In close collaboration with the Group and local business unit subject experts, this team will have a pivotal role in delivering a full suite of data analytics capabilities ranging from building up the organization’s governance and its cloud platform to project work on specific use cases together with the business.
Tasks and responsibilities
The Data Engineer has a crucial role in the technical realization of our regional cloud based platform for data and information management by using the Azure Service Components.
He/she understands the concept behind reference architectures for enterprise reporting, IoT applications and advanced analytics and is effective and efficient in activating and configuring such architectures in order to realize the required functionality.
More specific, he/she:
- Understands, realizes and maintains the reference architecture as well as the total orchestration of services;
- Supports the design, implementation and maintenance of data flow channels and data processing systems to extract, transform, load and integrate data from various sources in an automated, scalable, repeatable and secure manner;
- Defines optimal solutions to data uploading, data extraction, processing and warehousing;
- Creates, handles and tests code in different programming and scripting languages to develop and implement the platform;
- Foresees in the supply of log files originating in the services to feed the technical governance layer;
- Assesses the opportunities and impact of new services when available;
- Collaborate with stakeholders to understand needs for data structure, availability, integrity, quality, scalability and accessibility;
- Identifies and validates data sources and methods for data preparation;
- Plans, implements and monitors data quality management, facilitates data cleaning, enrichment and quality improvement, assists with rectification of data quality issues.
Typical accountabilities include:
- Data infrastructure: Logical/physical data modelling, database design/optimization/administration, data integration/migration, master data/meta data management;
- Data understanding: Data quality analysis and testing, data mapping from business requirements collection and exploration of data;
- Data preparation: ETL activities, data cleaning, fusion, augmentation, feature engineering;
- Deployment: Data warehouse architecture, DevOps, API/interface development;
- Visualization: Graphical design and presentation skills, dashboards or storyboard development, BI Reporting;
- Data Platform: Familiar with the Azure services and understand the concept of a data platform which connects different sources, collects & unifies data and produces Enterprise certified assets such as business tabular cubes.
As Data Engineer you report directly to the Regional Head Data Management (Francis De Ruytter) and to the Program Manager. You mainly work from the office located in the Port of Antwerp, Noordzee Terminal.
For this role we are looking for someone with extensive experience and a proven track record in the data architecture by using the Azure Service Components.
- A Master degree or equivalent through experience;
- At least 3 years of experience in Azure services such as Blob, Tablestorage, Azure Batch, Azure SQL Server, Datafactory (1 or 2), JSON, Datacontracts, Azure Analysis services, Azure Poller & Azure Keyvault;
- Knowledge of Data Vault and other programming languages is an asset;
- Microsoft certification is an asset.
Soft skills / Competencies:
- You communicate efficiently in English and Dutch (both orally & in writing and during presentations);
- Working in a team is a second nature to you;
- In a budget- and schedule-driven environment, you are able to tackle problems in a creative and analytical way;
- You work in a structured manner and can continue to function efficiently and effectively under pressure;
- You are problem solving and you have sharp analytical skills;
- You feel at your best in a fast-paced environment, where change constantly occurs.
- You become part of an international and innovative environment;
- You work in a tangible sector with great social relevance;
- A leadership role with impact and visibility, both within the local organisation and on an international level;
- Opportunity to play a pioneering role in a technically innovative environment;
- An attractive salary package with fringe benefits.
For this position, Amon is exclusive recruitment partner of PSA. For more information, please contact Len Cornelis (firstname.lastname@example.org - 09/296.16.18).
Copyright @ Amon, 2019